Originally From the Flushing Journal
29 September 1855
We hear of complaints of desecration of the Sabbath by strangers visiting Strattonport, (now College Point) on Sunday, and who indulge in past times strictly prohibited by law on that day. It was only a Sunday or two since that a musket ball passed through a room of the residence of C. Poppenhusen Esq. The law is about to put in force against these interlopers.
(It is likely some of those interlopers spent a night or two in the jailcells at Poppenhusen Institute)
31 January 1872 –
The town of Flushing gives relief to nearly three hundred families. In College Point, a village of factories, no relief is required.
6, January 1872 (From a letter: Flushing Village and town in 1833)
. . . at that time there were only four residences between Hamilton’s Mill and College Point dock, namely: Stratton’s farm house (which was on the Southern end of what is now College Point), Nicholl’s farm (which was near today’s 14th Rd.), and a small house near the College Point dock, and on the west side of Nicholl’s house.
. . . These were all the residences on that great neck of land west of Gilbert Lawrence’s place. College Point and Stratton Port Cove were then the resort of duck shooters and fishermen, during the proper seasons. The Salt Meadows were often slu… with snipe shooters, and the woods and the upland were reserves of sportsmen . . . In summer the fields were luxuriant with waving and undulating grain and corn . . . The tall elms sheltered him further from the heat of the room, and the orchards supplied with fruit . . .
. . .we have spoken of Strattonport at College Point as they were in 1833 . . .” J.Q.
note: “J.Q. – was probably James Quarterman
24 June 1854
Grass for Sale (no, not that kind)
24 acres of Clover and Timothy, which will be sold by the acre. Also, 25 acres of Salt Grass. Apply at College Point to Terence Walsh.
29 April 1854
For sale two Sale (sic) boats one 20 feet long, and the others 14 feet long. Apply at College Point to W.E. Chisolm. (of Chisolm Park fame)
29 March 1851
. . .The Stratton Port plank road (on old Causeway Stretch) is mounted on pegs and to our vision has the appearance of a continuous hobbyhorse, on a low gallop to notoriety. It is 18 inches above the mud, and from 8-19 inches in width, so that if the hobby should fling it a rider, the fall would be more dirty than stupendous. The road forms rather a funny promenade for well balasted landholders but rather a precarious one for women white under full sail for Stratton Port, in search of picturesque lots. . . after passing Stratton’s a few hundred yards one sees the platoons of pegs, indicating lot and streets (the beginning of the development of our community) . . . on one beautiful spot we observed a peg driven into the earth, on which is inscribed, “church.” The lot is reserved for religious purposes. But of what sects are to be the worships, the ecclesiastical stake gives no sign. In our perambulations and peregrinations, we found ourselves in Broadway, and passing in to Park Street and into this “Park,” and the while up to our waist in the greenest cat briar and juvenescent and superannuated blackberry bushes of strong attachments, and transforming both to our feelings and the, for our companions. The prospect from the park is of a quiet magnificence . . . From the park we had a distant and picturesque view of what we were told were a couple of doors, and which are to be placed in the first house when it shall be erected at Stratton Port. We have been enraptured by a view of the Parthenon by moonlight.
(That, my friends, was to become this community, College Point)