Hello from the historic, Poppenhusen Institute. We miss you and hope that you, your friends and family are safe and healthy and will remain that way.
Unfortunately, we have had to temporarily close our programs – since every decision we have made has been guided by our desire to keep all of our program participants, members, visitors, and staff members safe during this challenging time
What is still going on?
– Virtual Piano Lessons for 15 students
– An Earth Day Celebration– on Monday, April 21 a link will be posted for the “Earth Mirth” performance by nationally acclaimed ventriloquist, Jonathan Geffner. This show has been specially created for the families of College Point. You’ll recognize many familiar places around the neighborhood mentioned. The link will be activated on Earth Day Wednesday April 22 at 3:00 Pm. Why not tune in at that time knowing that many others around the community are also watching the show. However, if you miss it at that time the video will remain up until May 22.
Earth Day Contest– After watching the video, children are invited to compose a two to three paragraph essay on why protecting the Earth is important and what was their take-away from the video. Essays can be emailed to [email protected] . For ages 7-9 and 10-13
Winners will be announced on May 29th
Prizes – A $25.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble.
A Bio on the Life of Conrad Poppenhusen or The History of College Point
Winners essays will be posted on Poppenhusen’s Website and Facebook page.
– Articles on the History of College Point are being posted every other day on the Poppenhusen Facebook page and on our website, which is poppenhuseninstitue.org We can also email articles directly to you- just let us know.
– Historic Tour of College Point Aboard a Vintage Trolley- Friday June 19th at 11:00 Am.-
Social Distancing will still be practiced on the trolley. Participants will occupy every other seat; therefore, space will be limited – so reserve your seat early.
Looking Ahead to When We are Together Once Again
–Summer Concerts– as of now according, to NYC guidelines, no large social gatherings will be permitted in the summer. Therefore, no concerts have been scheduled. However, if this directive changes, we will revisit this issue.
– Sunday September 6th– 9/11 Remembrance Concert with the angelic voice of Mary Courtney and the music of Morning Star.
– Saturday, September 12th from 1:00-6:00Pm- Fall Festival and Celebration of Life event (formerly Oktoberfest)- will include German dancers and a new German musical group. The Austrian Boys, as well as Twin Gold since they will not be able to perform here in the summer, also lots of delicious food and beer and much more. (This will likely be our first large gathering since reopening.)
Details to follow, please save the date.
“Wheels Across the Boroughs”- the tours that were scheduled for April will be rescheduled for the Fall. Those included a trip to the 1837 Seguine Mansion on Staten Island and a visit to St. John the Divine Cathedral and Grants tomb. The Tenement Museum trip will be rescheduled for the Spring of 2021
Details to follow
We look forward to the day when the hallways of the Poppenhusen Institute will once again be filled with the sounds of the members of the community.
It’s felt so empty here without you.
In the meantime your support is needed more than ever to assure that this 152 year old community treasure will be able to withstand this current challenge and will be able to throw open wide its doors to welcome all our friends back in to enjoy concerts, music lessons, tours of the facility , community meetings such as the College Point Civic Association and others.
Conrad Poppenhusen Association is a 501(3)c , and believed to be the oldest still operating non-profit in Queens.
The $2.2 Trillion Cares Act passed last month allows for an” “above -the line- “deduction of up to $300.00 for donations to any not-for-profit organization in 2020. This deduction is only available if you take the standard deduction on your tax return.
Donations can be made through our website, poppenhuseninstitute.org, or can be sent to Poppenhusen Institute PO Box 91 College Point NY, 11356
Gifts of any amount are needed and will be appreciated.
Contact us at [email protected] or 718-358-0067
Poppenhusen Institute PO Box 91 College Point New York 11356
Stay Safe- Healthy and Hope-Filled and Count Each and Every Day as Precious